Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Note 0. Introduction

By way of introduction...

I first got serious with the ukulele in the late 1990s because of my interest in the popular music of the 1920s and '30s. I drifted away in the early 2000s to concentrate on Old Time music, the music of rural America in the 20s and 30s played on fiddle, banjo, and guitar.

I returned to the ukulele in 2014 as a result of chance encounters with other ukulele players. I found that the intervening years had changed
everything...for the better! Back then, there were few sites devoted to the ukulele and not too many makers. Now, I can't count the latter and I doubt even Google can count the former. 

I had authored some ukulele web pages during my first go-around with the ukulele, but today they are obsolete. I considered taking them down entirely not only because they're obsolete, but also because they didn't seem to add anything to the pages that are already available. I'm finding two things, though.  The first is that too much can be a curse as well as a blessing. Sometimes the information I seek is spread out over a number of sites. forcing me to aggregate. The other is that I often find myself having "Aha!" moments and realizing...surprise...that I see things differently from the way others do.

That's what prompted this blog.  It won't be comprehensive.  It won't focus on any particular aspect of the ukulele. It will simply be a collection of observations that I feel worth recording in this Notebook in the hope that they will lead others to their own "Aha!" moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment